Monday, October 17, 2011

A Generation of Wimps

While eating lunch the other day, my lovely roommate found an article in the paper about "wimpy children". It was going on about how parents have babied their kids all their lives and, now that they are at college, they cannot do things on their own. As she was reading it aloud, I got a look from another one of our friends.

Normally, I would try to defend myself. Normally. Just one problem. The day before this lovely lunch was clean-check day. This is when somebody comes around and checks the apartment. Everyone has a job they are responsible for. My job that week was to clean all the kitchen appliances. The oven was a mess! I found "All-Purpose" cleaner under the sink and began spraying it and scrubbing. This is when my mom got on skype. She asked what I was up to. I told her how I was cleaning the oven. She asked what kind of oven cleaner I was using. This is when it was acknowledged that bleach was in this all-purpose cleaner and , when used in ovens, causes toxic fumes. Joy. So there I am using soap and water half cleaning, half praying. I'm not sure how well of a job I did getting all the bleach out but a dessert was cooked in the oven this weekend. People ate it. Everyone is alive. I think I did well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that was a danged clean oven! At least this means you aren't a wimp Emily! You take the initiative to do things...just sometimes it doesn't end well. he he :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover